Barbara visits schools and libraries to read her books, present lessons about the animals in her books, and facilitate writing activities.
We are all learning new ways of coping with COVID-19 through social distancing, working from home, and learning virtually. I’m developing new ways to read my books to children, create fun crafts, and present writing activities through my YouTube channel. Also watch for informative newsletters and special book sales from me. Please stay safe and healthy.
In addition to school and library visits, Barbara will plan and coordinate Author Fairs and Parent Nights.
She has taught everything from Bible study to 4 year olds, to accounting to adults. Her expertise is in English, grammar, writing, and speech.
Barbara researches the wildlife in her books and shares facts, sounds, and videos with a PowerPoint presentation.
LESSONS AND WRITING ACTIVITIES
Life lessons about friendship, kindness, and getting along with others are themes found in all her books. Soft skills such as leadership, teamwork, and problem solving are bonus topics in every presentation.
STEM topics about nature and geography are also incorporated into her presentations.
LESSONS ABOUT WILDLIFE
Barbara designs lessons about wildlife for individual classes. Her areas of expertise include Gambel’s Quail, Common Loon, and Trumpeter Swan.
Presentations may include a Reading, PowerPoint, Worksheets, and Craft.
Signed copies of her books will be donated to the library.
• Story Elements • Characterization • Writing: Show, don’t Tell
• Beginnings and Endings • Planning a Story • Letter Writing
Barbara will organize a full-day Author Fair that includes six to seven children’s book authors to come visit elementary schools.
Each author will present a writing, language arts, research, or illustration lesson to classrooms on a rotation basis.
During lunch and after school, the authors will be available to sell signed copies of their books to the students and parents.
SCHOOL AND LIBRARY VISIT TESTIMONIALS
Barbara took the time to present her wonderful stories with our K-6th students at Mirage Elementary school. She read “Lonnie the Loon Flies South for the Winter” to the older kids and “Quincy the Quail and the Mysterious Egg” to the primary kids. Each story was accompanied with an engaging writing activity. The kids got to learn about science and nature, QR codes and really understand how being passionate can fuel your writing. We were so lucky we got to meet Barbara and share in her story telling. Thank you so much!
-Sara Stevens, Reading Specialist
Mirage Elementary School
- “Thank you SO much for coordinating Author Day! The kids had a blast as did I!”
- “We are so thankful that we were able to have this time to hear different ways authors create their books!”
- “I even learned about some great activities that I’d love to try with my kids!”
- “Amazing day!”
- “It was wonderful! I was so impressed with all the notes my students took and questions they asked. They were writing all day!”
- “I was pleased that our school valued writing to the extent that they allowed me to plan a full day of guest authors who shared their craft with the students. We had 7 authors who presented 4 lessons to different age groups. There were 2 sessions in the morning and 2 sessions after lunch. Each author presented a different topic that would give students a special take away they could use in their work. The generosity of the authors was amazing! They did not ask for anything except a chance to sell their books to the students.”
-Marti Noland, 4th Grade, Department Head
Paradise Valley Christian Preparatory